A very brief summary of the product announcements Apple made today:
- New band colors:
- Sport: yellow
- Leather: teal, red
- Milanese Loop: Space Grey
- New Woven Nylon bands $49: in 7 colors, including neon blue, pink, orange
- Space Grey Milanese Loop
- Now starting at $299 (down from $349)
- iPhone 5s form factor with iPhone 6S internals
- (except no 3D Touch)
- Starting at $399 without contract / $0 with 2-year contract
- 16GB / 64 GB Capacity
- Pre-orders March 24, shipping March 31
- Night Shift – reduces blue light in display at night
- New Health features
- New CarPlay features
- New Education features – deployment, Classroom app
- Available today – free update
- TrueTone ambient color matching
- Smart Keyboard to match
- Apple Pencil support
- New USB Camera Adapter – powered
- Now in Rose Gold
- 32GB $599 / 128GB $749 / 256GB $899
- (also brought 256GB capacity to 12.9″ at $1099)
- Preorder 3/24, shipping 3/31
- Lineup now looks like: iPad mini | Air 2 | Pro 9.7″ | Pro 12.9″
It was a busy morning for Microsoft yesterday, as they announced several key hardware products at their press event. Here’s a quick recap from my point of view.
- Now joining the Limited Edition Forza Motorsport 6 bundle is the upcoming Limited Edition Halo 5: Guardians Bundle with a downloadable copy of the game, a custom Spartan-themed metal case, matching custom metal controller, and 1 TB of storage. The listed release date is October 20, and it’s priced at $499.
- Windows 10 will be coming to Xbox One “this holiday season”, nothing more specific yet.
- A new high-performance Elite Gaming Controller coming in “October 2016” and priced at $199.99.
After a slight delay, Apple released watchOS 2 for the Apple Watch yesterday. What’s new in this release? Find out below.
watchOS 2: Native Apps, New Watch Faces and More Available Now
Apple started pushing out the long-awaited watchOS 2 update yesterday afternoon, with the anticipated and welcome addition of native watch apps, among many other enhancements. Here’s the best way to get watchOS 2 on your Apple Watch.
How to install watchOS 2 on your Apple Watch the right way | Cult of Mac
Here are two reviews of iOS 9, in case you’re still trying to decide whether to do it, or so you know what you’re getting.
Brief review: Cult of Mac
iOS 9 review: It’s all about speed | Cult of Mac
In-depth review: Federico Vittici of MacStories
iOS 9: The MacStories Review, Created on iPad
The release of the watchOS 2 update announced for today, simultaneously with the iOS 9 update, has been delayed by Apple due to a substantial bug. No word yet on when it will be released.
Apple Delays Release Of watchOS 2 Due To Bug
Now that iOS 9 is being pushed out to a device near you this afternoon, here’s a great article from MacWorld about how to upgrade as painlessly as possible. And some advice on how to downgrade as well, if it’s not working out for you. (Hint: you’ll have to plan for the ability to downgrade before you do the upgrade.)
How to upgrade to iOS 9 (and, if you need to, reinstall iOS 8)
Mac Office users rejoice: Microsoft has finally modernized Office for Mac. It’s much more like its Windows counterparts, but still in the style of the Mac.
Microsoft Releases Office 2016 for Mac With Updated Versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and More
Some of the more hidden features of Apple’s upcoming iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan
Hidden Features in iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan